Happy 30th Birthday to the humble Macintosh tomorrow, 24th of January 2014. My first Mac, a Colour Classic (4MB of RAM, 40MB hard drive and 512KB VRAM) was purchased in 1993 (21 years ago) after I was allowed to sell my (nearly new) 386 PC for not much less than I paid for it. Thanks Mum and Dad. I've never looked back.
It's fair to say that I've used a Mac almost every day since, and for all sorts of purposes. Though my association with various Mac-equipped employers and friends, I've enjoyed a healthy (or unhealthy) supply of new and hand-me-down Macs of many varying levels. They're always a pleasure to use and even to take apart - between 1999 and 2003 I was a certified Apple Service Tech at The Byte Centre in Rockhampton and later at NextByte Tweed Heads and Ashmore.
My current Mac, a 2010 MacBook Pro 15" is number 24. Here's the list and approximate order. Can anyone beat this?
- Macintosh Color Classic My first mac 1993 Mac OS 7.1
- Power Macintosh 8500 I got my dream machine 1997
- Macintosh Performa 6300 Series 1998 An absolute piece of junk.
- Macintosh SE 1998 recently retrieved from Dad's. No longer boots and is on display tomorrow at Mac Choice.
- Macintosh Portable 1998 my most tragic throwaway. A rare collectable now.
- Macintosh PowerBook 180c 1998 Luxurious colour
- Workgroup Server 60 1998 My first server equipped with a SyQuest 40MB drive!
- Macintosh IIsi 1999 A great reliable mac. Nice form factor and awesome Apple 13" screen.
- Macintosh PowerBook Duo 230 & DuoDock 1999 My former flatmate Ed might still have this.
- Macintosh LC III 1999 Pizza box.
- iMac (Bondi) 2000 An awesome machine. Fast and luggable and total game changer.
- Power Macintosh 7200 2000 Workhorse. Learnt Filemaker on this.
- Macintosh PowerBook 3400c - 2000 My fav Mac. Loved this one a lot. Awesome screen, keyboard, actual battery life and great sound.
- iMac (5 Flavors - purple) 2002 had one. Can't remember it's demise.
- iMac (Early 2001) 2002 - Mum's flower power iMac currently living in a cupboard somewhere. Works.
- Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) 2002-2012 Another serious workhorse. Purchased new to take a shot at professional DVD authoring. Now in Rocky landfill.
- MacBook (13-inch Mid 2007 Black SE) 2007-2009
- PowerBook G4 (15-inch FW800) 2009
- Power Mac G4 (PCI Graphics) 2007 for parts. Working but unreliable. Used it to drive POS displays for a while. Now in Rocky landfill.
- Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) 2005-2009 I got my second dream machine. Stunning. Still at MRC doing video or something like that.
- Mac mini (Late 2006-currently at Mums) 2007- Slow and a bit dissapointing for any real work.
- iMac (17-inch) 2007-Retained for the awesome design. Still working well and living in a cupboard. Too cool to discard.
- Xserve G5 x2 2010- Worlds most intelligent boat anchors. Responsible for the whopper power bills of 2012.
- MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010 2010 - Just beautiful. A real weapon for any kind of work. Still impressively fast and capable.
At present, I'm awaiting the arrival of my new workhorse, a customised Apple iMac 27-inch 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with heaps of RAM, 2GB graphics and big fusion drive. I can't wait!